Open Letter from the San Diego County Fair
The San Diego County Fair has reached out to the Guild with the following message:
“As most of you may already know…the San Diego ‘full Fair experience’ is back! The fair will run from 6/08 – 7/04, excluding Mondays and Tuesdays (with the exception of Monday, July 4th) and the theme is ‘Heroes Re-Unite’. The Home & Hobby Exhibit and the Creative Youth Exhibit have been combined into a single exhibit called – Home Made. The Home Made exhibit will be located at the west end of the Exhibit Hall behind the Candy Store. With the combination of these two exhibits, fairgoers will be able to experience all the handcrafted talents of our exhibitors, as well as some ‘hands on’ experiences through our ‘Make & Takes’ in one ‘huge creative space’.
“While bringing back the Fair is very exciting, it will not be the same without participation from the San Diego North Coast Knitters Guild in this year’s exhibit. It is unfortunate that no one from the Guild was able to volunteer as the Fair Coordinator, but don’t let that stop YOU from participating! There are many ways members can still be involved:
- You can ENTER as an individual. All those projects you created during the last 2+ years deserve to be displayed for others to see and appreciate. The beautiful items shared in the Virtual Show and Share “What’s On Your Needles” are stunning, but they are just a small sampling of what your Guild has completed in the last 2+ years. Every monthly Virtual Show and Share has projects that would be appreciated by so many people at the fair. It would be fantastic if all of these lovely creations, and some of the other projects you have worked on over the 2+ years, were entered in this year’s Home Made Exhibit. Hand Made projects are not only appreciated by the fairgoers but serve as an inspiration to try new hobbies. The deadline to enter is May 16.
“New to the fair this year is an Open House event titled, “A Celebration of Exhibitors”. All exhibitors are invited to join us on June 8th, from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. for light refreshments at the Home Made exhibit to pick up your ribbons, see how your entry is displayed, talk to the coordinators and have some fun mingling with other exhibitors.
- Like creating displays? Join us as a VOLUNTEER and help create displays that will do justice to these beautifullyhandcrafted items.
- If you would like to actually WORK in the Home Made Exhibit, we are not yet fully staffed and are still looking for employees. The FUN for many of us is in helping to build the exhibit and display all the incredible crafts.
- Have you ever considered becoming a JUDGE? If you feel you have the qualifications to judge any of the Fiber Arts Division entries, then submit an application. We are always looking for interested, qualified individuals for our judging panels. We will be accepting applications and recommendations until May 10th. Judging panels will be assigned by May 15th.
- An easy way to make sure the San Diego North Coast Knitters Guild still has a presence in this year’s exhibit, is to become a SPONSOR for a Donated Award. Any interested person, guild, group or retail merchant can sponsor an award. The only requirement is that the value of the award must be a minimum of $50.00 but it doesn’t have to be cash. Awards can be gift cards; a basket filled with product(s); craft starter kits, or anything that you feel would make your award “special” to the recipient. The fun part is that the SPONSOR selects their winner; receives recognition as a Sponsor through signage in the exhibit and receives fair tickets equal to the amount of the award. The recipient of your award will also receive a rosette from the Fair.
“For information on how to enter an exhibit, please visit sdfair.com – click on Participate and select Competitive Exhibits from the drop down menu. If you are interested in submitting an application to Judge, Volunteer, become an Employee or Sponsor an award, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
“We sincerely hope you can help make the 2022 SD Fair Home Made Exhibit extra special this year. If your schedule does not permit your participation, or involvement, we hope you will have time to attend the Fair and have FUN!”
The Home Made Team,