- This event has passed.
Lily Chin Workshop 1
Wednesday, September 5, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Tips, Tricks and, Hints
Learn all the little secrets to make knitting life easier and better. Find out how to cast on in 2-tail method without running out of the second tail. Join a new skein of yarn or a new color without losing that first stitch. See ways of attaching buttons as you work. Create invisible circular bind-offs on a neck where the beginning and end are absolutely imperceptible. Weave in those little ends that are too short to put through a darning needle. Take away lots of small “fix-its” and improve those details.
Level of Experience: Advanced-Beginner
- With worsted/aran weight yarn and appropriate sized double-pointed or short (12 or 16”) circular needles, cast on enough stitches to go to circular needles or minimal amount of stitches on double-pointed needles (maybe 12). Join, being careful not to twist. Work in 1×1 rib circularly for about 1”, begin to bind off leaving last 2 or 3 stitches unbound; leave on needles to be completed in class.
- With worsted/aran weight yarn and appropriate sized needles, cast on about 8 sts, work for about 1” in any stitch, leave on needles to be completed in class.
- With worsted weight yarn and appropriate sized needles, make a swatch of about 3” x 3” in stockinette, end ready to work a knit row, do not bind off, leave stitches on stitch holder.
- Familiarize yourself with:
1. what is called the “long tail” cast-on; that is, there are two ends of yarns utilized in this cast-on2. what is known as a “left-slanting” decrease or ssk.
2. what is known as a “left-slanting” decrease or ssk.
3. how to do a basic chain with the crochet hook.
Materials to Bring to Workshop
- Homework swatches
- Extra double-pointed needles, crochet hooks of various sizes, tapestry needles, extra circular needles, worsted weight yarn of various light colors, a shank button, dental floss (4″ length, waxed preferred)
Materials fee: None
Cost: $30 for members ($65 for non-members which includes Guild membership through 2019)
How to Register: Sign up at a Guild meeting or send an email to Programs@SanDiegoKnitters.com. Be sure to include your name, the name of the workshop, your email address and a telephone number. Payment is requested at time of registration. Your registration is guaranteed upon confirmation of receipt of your payment. In order to receive a cancellation refund, please cancel prior to the beginning of the guest instructor’s Tuesday program.
Learn more about Lily Chin’s visit to the Guild in Knitters News