Egg to Owl Reversible Toy
The Egg to Owl is an adorable reversible toy that starts as an egg and when turned inside out becomes a sweet little owl. We will cover simple seams, picking up stitches right on your toy for seamless part knitting, face embroidery, stuffing and gauge issue discussion for toy knitting, and more. In class we will talk about toy knitting tips and tricks that apply to toy making in general.
- Cast on and work in the round on small numbers of stitches on double-pointed needles (unless you are using magic loop but be aware that the pattern is written for double-pointed needles).
- Simple increases and decreases.
Homework: Complete the Egg before class. Students will be sent the egg pattern. The owl will be worked on together in class.
Gauge for Egg: From 5.5 to 6 stitches per inch will work best in Stockinette Stitch. Yarn is worsted weight and wool is highly recommended.
Suggested Needles: A set of four US size 5 double-pointed needles. Magic Loop can easily be used but the pattern is written for double-pointed needles. It’s up to you!
Supplies to Bring to the Workshop: Note: Yarn for the class and pattern is worsted weight. Wool is recommended but other fibers and blends could be used. Bring any colors you would like! Your owl and egg can be as colorful and crazy as you’d like — stripes are welcome, too.
- [50 yards of yarn for the Egg; used for homework (i.e.,cream)]
- 50 yards of yarn for the upper owl body, head, ears and wings (i.e, brown)
- 50 yards of yarn for the lower owl body and face (i.e. cream)
- 30 yards of yarn for the owl feet and beak (i.e. orange)\
- Black embroidery floss for eyes if you aren’t using the safety eyes
- Optional: 9mm safety eyes
- Yarn Needle
One sandwich baggie of fiberfill will be provided at workshop.
Cost: $30 for members ($65 for non-members which includes Guild membership through 2019)
How to Register: Sign up at a Guild meeting or send an email to Programs@SanDiegoKnitters.com. Be sure to include your name, the name of the workshop, your email address and a telephone number. Payment is requested at time of registration. Your registration is guaranteed upon confirmation of receipt of your payment. In order to receive a cancellation refund, please cancel prior to the beginning of the guest instructor’s Tuesday program.
Learn more about Susan B Anderson’s visit to the Guild in Knitters News